Tuesday 12 November 2013

Review: Glossybox - November 2013

So I promised to do a review of the glossy box I was to receive this month, and here it is:







The box comes very beautifully wrapped using pink ribbon, black tissue paper to encase the products and more shredded black tissue paper beneath the products. It creates a really nice effect and I kind of felt like I was receiving a present… from myself! 
Inside, the products are carefully placed inside, some of which were further wrapped in pretty packaging (as you can see on the left, on of the products was stored in a pale pink ribbon drawn bag - a very nice touch, if I do say so myself).





So onto the products: Honestly… I was disappointed. This is the first time I've ever had a Glossybox, so I can't say whether or not this is a bad month, or if this is typical. *shrugs* Don't get me wrong, I certainly liked some of the products, but overall, the Glossybox was a little... anticlimactic. 






















Included in the box was a list of all the products included in the set, and what they are used for. In addition to this, there are the prices of the products (so you know that you're definitely getting your moneys worth) and where to purchase them (just in case you loved the product so much you want to buy more). I think this is a nice touch, as without seeing this, I would never have known that some of the products included were worth so much money. It really makes you feel like you've had a massive saving on products. Despite this, I can't seem to get past the idea that 'sure, I saved a lot of money! But I saved a lot of money on products I don't think I would have ever given a second glance to'. Maybe I'm looking into this too much, I don't know. 


So for the products I really liked in the set:



Emite Make Up - Micronized Eyeshadow - Dams

Okay, so I think the first thing to mention is that this eyeshadow is worth a whopping £16.80 at full size, and guess what? They gave it at full size! For for the £10 I spent on this box, the eyeshadow covered the cost and gave even more. Now that's what I call getting your moneys worth. 

The shade I received is a super pretty  shimmery nude-ish colour. I made sure to try some on before this post and I must say, I'm really impressed by how pigmented the shadow is and how… soft it feels. I know, I know, that's a really weird thing to say. But it's true! The powder feels really soft and didn't fall all over my face while applying (a pet peeve of mine). To be truthful, I don't tend to buy eyeshadows like this because I prefer the little pallets you can buy with 3 − 5 colours. But I think I'll make an exception here, it's a nice colour, good quality and yeah, I really like it (laughs). 


Vichy - Idealia Life Serum


Onto the 'tester' product of the box (I assume a lot of testers and new products are used), as I said before, I really liked the way this one was wrapped. To be honest… I don't really get this one, but I like it none-the-less. From the information that came with the box, it seems it's to improve the quality of the skin. As far as I can tell, they are all the same product, but I might have to look into this one deeper. As I'm sure you can tell, I didn't get the full size of this product, but the original is worth £29.50. 

Not sure if that's something I would pay for just another thing to slather on my face. I mean, it's hard enough keeping up with the whole exfoliate, cleanse, tone and moisturise routine. I guess it depends on the results! As someone with incredibly pink skin, I am always on the lookout for something to correct this, or at least minimise the appearance of redness. If this could do anything like that I might just splash out. Otherwise? Nope, not a chance.


Yves Rocher France - Hand Cream (In Cocoa and Raspberry)

Okay, first can I just say that OH MY GOSH THIS SMELLS AMAZING. 

This has got to be one of the best smelling hand creams I have come across so far and by the looks of the information card, very affordable. For a 75ml tube you would be paying £1.95. £1.95! Can you believe that!? (Sorry, I'll try to calm the fangirling).

I don't know if it's easy to tell, but I have a pretty big tube of the stuff here so I'm super impressed by the quantity I was given. I was praying like mad I wouldn't have a box full of mainly small tester pieces. That would have been a major rip off. But that hasn't been the case and I can definitely say that if this product works as well as it smells, I'll be purchasing another tube of this one.


On the the products that were…

Please, please, please don't get me wrong, I don't hate the product. I suppose I find the idea of such an unglamorous product in a Glossybox quite amusing. But the next product is…


Scholl - Dry Skin Exfoliator Skin Care





Now that I think about it, the product really is quite a funny one and who wouldn't want nice smooth skin? Whoever put this in my box must have chuckled a little bit?

Well I guess it's practical, but with my feet… I think all the Scholl in the world couldn't do them justice. A foot transplant would be cheaper. (It's worth £4.49 - for those interested, pretty good I'd say). I don't really have a lot more I can say about the product, but I'll definitely give it a go. Shouldn't knock an idea before trying it…


Finally! I don't hate this product, but I don't really love it either. I don't wear nail varnish because my nails cannot handle the harsh chemicals in the varnish and especially those found in polish remover (yes, even the so called 'gentle' ones). Therefore, it's a little useless for me. But I already knew that I'd have at least one product like that in the box.



I think for anyone who does wear nail varnish this would be a really great thing to have on hand and it's pretty affordable at £3 for a 125ml can. I guess I'll give this to my sister or a friend who could make better use of it.

Okay, so I think I've talked myself into liking my box a little more. But overall, I would have liked more makeup products included, as that's my real interest. It's really nice that Glossybox tries to cater to a wide variety of people, but I would have thought that the questionnaire I took before hand could have been better, so as to receive things better suited to my tastes.



So here's the real question…

Should I continue my subscription into the next month?

Have you ever had a Glossybox before? What were your thoughts and feelings about the concept? The products you were given? Let me know in the comments section!


Don't forget to follow my Store and like my Facebook page for updates to this blog and the introduction of new items to my shop!

Farewell friends,

~ Emsie ~

No comments:

Post a Comment