Thursday 13 February 2014

Debate For The Masses: Too young?


I want to write about something that's been on my mind for a couple of days, and while still beauty related, is not my typical post. 

*gasps* A debate!?

The other day I went to a family friends in the morning. On said morning, their 13 year old daughter came down sporting a very heavy set of made up eyebrows. Her father then said - and very harshly in my honest opinion - 'what have you done to your eyebrows? They look like slugs!' To me as a guest, it felt uncomfortable, but even more so, I felt for the girl who was obviously only trying to experiment with some makeup, just... not very well. 


I started wearing light makeup when I was 12, or for comparisons sake, the same 'year group' as she is: year 8. To me, this age is fine to be wearing a little makeup, but it seems to the parents she is too young to be sporting such a look or any makeup for that matter. I was under the impression that this was a very normal age to try out some new looks. Girls far younger than 13 put makeup on and no-one bats an eyelash. Of course, they want to keep her young for as long as possible, very understandable, but she'll get her hands on makeup one way or another if she really wants to. 

Once her dad had left, she asked shyly me how she should do her eyebrows and I gave her the best advice I possibly could, considering her age. But I just felt that the shame her parents had thrown on her in those few seconds must have truly hurt her. Perhaps I am over thinking this one a little too much and maybe many parents will agree with the actions of this girls mother and father, but to me, I saw it as a way of humiliating her in front of a person she doesn't even know very well (me). To an extent I agree that she shouldn't use too much makeup. She's young. Let her be young. Was the method they used correct though? Surely there could have been a kinder way to approach the subject?

So what do you think? Is this 'shaming' method too harsh? Or do you agree that she should be put in her place (age-wise) and left to be young for a little bit longer? Let me know your thoughts!

xx

Ps. Look forward to new reviews (and possibly my very first makeup challenge) to come soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment