Friday 7 February 2014

Review: Maybelline Baby Skin Primer



A couple of posts ago, in my Mini Haul, I mentioned a new product on the high street market. Maybelline's Baby Skin Primer is the new addition to what seems to me, a growing collection of 'Baby' products.

While it is a primer, I think this fact was probably the last thing I found out about it. The packaging has bold lettering splashed across it saying 'Pore Eraser'. I find the idea kind of funny because you can't erase pores, but I get what it's saying. It will reduce the appearance of them while wearing the product.


It also (very boldly, in my opinion), claims that you could wear this without foundation. Which I'm sure would be the case for anyone with perfect skin, but sadly, not for me if I'm having a 'bad skin day'.




The Before Pictures

Sadly I think my before pictures had better lighting than my after ones, so I apologise in advance for the lack of quality. It's been dismal weather here in the UK and unfortunately that has affected the pictures. I tried taking the pictures in all kinds of lighting, so I'm hoping these at least give you an idea of the 'before'.

Ughhh… my skin on what is meant to be a "good day"… *sobs*

I don't know how easy it is to tell, but I suppose you can see my pores a little… if you squint really hard. I've never really noticed the pores on my face and I take that to be a good sign, because usually that means they aren't a massive problem. Even so, I tried the product, more as a primer than anything else, and to simply see whether its claims stand true.


Texture and Appearance

The primer is a thick, clear gel consistency which melts slightly if left on your finger (therefore, at 'body temp'). Because it is clear, this definitely means that there is no coverage from the primer what-so-ever, no tint, nothing.


For my application, I rubbed it slightly between my fingers and starting from the centre of my face rubbed the products lightly onto my skin, concentrating on the areas pores typically show up the most. The primer does not feel greasy at all and once it has settled onto the skin, is practically undetectable.

Cost

The product is £7.99, so probably about the average price for a high street primer. I think that considering the amount of primer you get, it's a decent price they are asking for. Of course, I'm sure you could find cheaper, but then, are you compromising on quality?

The After Pictures

I will be honest, I cannot see a great deal of difference. Both from my photographs and in person. Perhaps you, my readers, can see one (in which case I'll have to get my glasses), but the whole thing was a little anti-climatic.

The lighting changed, thus, poorer pictures… >_<



























Maybe they have shrunk a little, but I doubt my skin was the best to test it on if I'm being realistic. So I'll ask you, did you notice a difference in the size of your pores? Or are you with me, and found very little change at all?

On a positive note, I probably would go out without foundation, perhaps if I touched up the horrible dark circles and blemishes with a little concealer, but I doubt I'd go completely makeup free with this.



I have tried this product several times since I purchased it in my haul and I'd definitely say it works splendidly as a primer. I have noticed my makeup is much more long lasting and so it gets a big thumbs up on that one from me.

Overall, I'd say this is a good product as a primer, but if you're looking to minimise pores, I think there are probably better ways to go about it.


~On a side note, I got my hair cut! ~

Dem Currrls~ *flips hair*

I had about three and a half inches off and it's so much shorter. I have no layers left in my hair and my dip dye is still amazingly bright even after one whole year (yup! I haven't dyed it in a year). My hair grows pretty quickly though so I expect it'll be back to it's original length in around 2 − 3 months.

So how have you found the Baby Skin experience? Average like me, or did you love/hate it?

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment